Temporary Spousal Support in California

If you are either contemplating a divorce or you have just been served with a dissolution petition (divorce papers), you may be concerned about how you are going to support yourself during the divorce proceedings.

In California, a Court can order temporary spousal support (pending the divorce) to a non-working spouse or a spouse that makes significantly less than the other spouse.

In order to get the Court to make a temporary spousal support order, the spouse requesting the order must file an Order to Show Cause with the Court. Upon filing of the proper paperwork and relevant filing fee (if any), the Court will schedule a hearing where it will decide whether to award temporary spousal support. At the hearing, the Judge will review the paperwork that has been filed by both sides and may hear testimony from both spouses.

The information on this blog is not legal advice, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions should be directed to a lawyer of your own choosing.

Scott D. Wu is an attorney licensed to practice in California.
His firm focuses on various aspects of business law, family law, personal injury and real estate.